
I have been boycotting grocery shopping for the month of August. I haven't been since before I went on vacation to Michigan. We have been getting basics such as milk, cereal, and such on an as needed basis. I just haven't had the desire to hit the big stores and spend an hour or two attached to a huge metal cart. I haven't missed the big lights and the craziness!
In an attempt to avoid grocery shopping as much as possible I have been hitting the local fruit stands and farmers markets. Much more enjoyable than the grocery store! Last week we, as a family, headed to a farmers market where we got to enjoy fresh strawberries bought by my oldest with her hard-earned change. The strawberries were so sweet and, maybe because we all so relaxed, extra yummy!
The bonus of the night at the farmers market was the free concert that was happening in the park. A local musician named Andy Harrison was performing acoustically with his guitar. What a great time we had sitting back and listening to him perform. We enjoyed him so much we bought his CD and plan on going to one of his upcoming concerts. The kids busied themselves by doing somersaults in the grass and playing a game of tag in the park. Those are the evenings we treasure as a family. We wouldn't have had an experience like that in the grocery store, that's for sure!
We have also been diving into our garden as much as possible to fill the vegetable bin up. Our edamame are going crazy now and our tomatoes have finally ripened. Every afternoon I head out to the garden and fill my bowl with veggies. It has been so rewarding to eat a dinner that came from our backyard. It is especially rewarding since I know where it came from, my own garden!
But, my boycotting is about to come to an end. We were watching the Food Channel and saw a show on Vietnamese cooking that made both of our mouths water. Plus, my significant other has put in a request for a pumpkin cake with Chai buttercream frosting. How could I resist a request to make a cake? My true passion??? I realized then that it is time to hit the big store and start shopping again. Oh well, my boycott was relaxing while it lasted!
No comments:
Post a Comment