Thursday, November 18, 2010

Random Thoughts and Candy Bars

Last week we were walloped with a nasty virus which is why I haven't posted in over a week. It was a brutal virus that took everyone of us out. Starting out on a Saturday night, it took aim at each one of us so by the time Wednesday rolled around, we were all horizontal in the living room, unable to move.

With nothing to do but wait for the next person to give up their cookies, we watched a lot television (sigh). We had to balance between kid cartoons to satisfy the kids and cooking shows to satisfy the adults. Watching cooking shows was a bit of a torture for us since we are so food oriented in our house that watching someone dish up an amazing dish made us crave the process of eating. Our stomachs, though, did not crave the process of eating but railed against it very adamently!

After about five days of this virus and once the ability to keep some food down arrived, I broke down and just had to eat something. Just to enjoy the act of eating again. I chose to eat salty popcorn and a candy bar. I know, I wasn't necessarily kind to the stomach right off but man, it sounded GOOD!

So, as I was sitting there with my book and bowl of popcorn plus the candy bar balanced on my lap, I had one of those random thought moments. Now, the book that I was reading is one of my favorite authors whose series I follow closely and collect. The character in there I like to think of as my alter-ego. One tough, kick-ass (sorry) cop who works in New York City and can take someone out with just a glare. This character wears a long, black leather coat as she solves mystery and crime. Tough (maybe a little), kick-ass (sorry again) doesn't necessarily described me but I certainly enjoy reading these books. I mean, if I was to take someone out with my glare, I would immediately feel bad, apologize profusely, and offer to take them to the closest emergency room.

In the book there is a candy thief who steals this character's candy bar stash, which I was reading about as I was enjoying my candy bar that night. This led to my random thought which I had to share with my hubby at that very moment. Looking up from my book, I said to him, "If I had to do a top-five list of candy bars, Snickers would definitely be at the top of the list." My dear sweet hubby looks at me with a perplexed look on his face like I have never done something this random before. (He has known me for 18 years and knows that I am great at random thought moments!) His reply to me was, "Thank you SO much for sharing (note sarcasm). And you were thinking about this while reading???"

Along with being the queen of random thoughts, I am also the queen of multi-tasking. Having three kids makes that an essential survival skill to getting things done in life. After saying that Snickers was at the top of my list, I proceeded to list Butterfinger, Twix, Carmello, and the good-ole stand-by of Hershey. My sweet hubby just shook his head and we went back to reading/computer browsing. 

No more than 5 minutes later, he looks up and says, "Is that commercially made candy bars only?" Aha! I am not the only one with random thought moments in our house! So grew our conversation that night about candy bars, both commercially and locally made, all because of a random thought moment by me. Maybe I can use that for my next ice breaker at a meeting or dinner party. "Quick! Name your top five candy bars of all time!" Might get a few looks like the one my dear hubby threw at me that night!


No comments:

Post a Comment