Thursday, December 9, 2010

Snapshots of the Season


"It's that time of year,
When the world falls in love."
Christmas Waltz

Christmas has arrived at our house. Last weekend, for the first time, we chopped down our own tree at a local tree farm. Something about loading the kids into the car, finding the tree farm, walking around a forest with a hand saw, and finding the perfect tree in the middle of a sea of trees makes you love your tree even more.

After getting the tree, we decorated it with our collection of ornaments. My hubby silently counted how many times I exclaimed, "This is my favorite!" when unwrapping the ornaments. I think the total came to seven. I obviously have many favorites on my tree!

Exclaiming that "This is my favorite!" reveals how much our Christmas tree is a snapshot in time. Ornaments from the kids' first Christmas to ornaments from special vacations tell the story of our family. That is what I love about this time of the year, it turns my focus back to my family and what has been important to us. I, literally, fall in love with my life all over again.

This year has been extra special for some reason. I haven't packed my schedule full of activities. The presents I am making are coming along smoothly. I am taking time to enjoy an extra cup of coffee in the afternoon. And I am relishing in the excitement in the kids' faces when they play around the tree. It has been a wonderful example of what this time of year is supposed to be about.

The other day I walked around with my camera and captured snapshots of parts of my life that are building this joy. I could have taken many more but here we go:


My oldest daughter's ornament she chose last year. It represents her to a T! Pink, sparkly, and full of dreams. The extra gold bling at the top can be found in any outfit she chooses any day of the week, from bracelets to rings to funky shoes. A true representation of her!



I am making quite of few of my Christmas presents this year and fabric is in many of them. I love getting a new collection of fabric (to add to my enormous stash in my craft room!) and creating a new project. Working with fabric has been such a joy lately and, my hope, is that the joy comes through in the gifts when the receivers open them.


Every year we put the garland, ribbon, and bells up outside the door. The garland, I believe, we got when we were first married at the local discount store, probably for some ridiculously low price. Every year it graces our entryway and makes me smile. When the wind picks up and you can hear the bells chime, especially on Christmas Eve, it is the best because we tell the kids that it is Santa. Oh their eyes! They get so huge and amazed that Santa is so close. It adds so much to the magic of the season.


Ah....a cup of tea. It has been so cold lately that a hot cup of tea has been what I have craved. I am so happy to sit with my hands around the cup, with the heat seeping through, chatting with the kids. Such a perfect moment!


This is the first time in my life that I can claim a bowl of oatmeal brings me joy. This is an awesome bowl of oatmeal! After changing my diet to mostly gluten-free, this has satisfied many of my cravings. It is so GOOD. I pile it high with cashews, pumpkin seeds, and chocolate chips. I think chocolate chips can make anything ten times better, anyway. But this brings me much happiness in the afternoon, especially with my extra cup of coffee or tea.

There is so many more snapshots that I could take and share with you. My new Santa that I added to our collection this year, the lights on the trees, the kid's eyes when they are huge with wonder, and so on and so on...but, ultimately, I am hoping that you are finding the snapshots of joy and love in your life this time of year. That those snapshots are staying with you even if your schedule is crazy and life feels hectic. Happy Holidays, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment