Friday, April 8, 2011

The Core of It All

I went back to pilates this week after a much longer break than anticipated. Halfway through the hour long class, I remembered what it meant to have a stitch through ones entire body. I think even my forehead had a stitch in it! I kept telling myself that it is good for my core (aka: my stomach), good for my core, good for my core...over and over again.

I managed to survive the class with a little bit of grace and a little bit of style, not much to be honest. Style and grace do not come easy when your feet are perched on an exercise ball, your on your back, and creating a bridge with your body. I know, even reading it now, I am confused as to what Sally the instructor had intended for us to do! An even bigger issue during the class was, when the going got tough, I got a case of the giggles. I've been known to laugh during a long run at the insanity of what I was doing, so this was not something new. A little embarrassing, but not new.

But, like I said, it is good for my core. Once you go past a certain mileage in running, your little imbalances in your body become magnified. You realize that your right side might be stronger so your left side kind of flails out beside you as you merrily run down the street. Not a big deal if one is running 3 miles but take that imbalance out for a 20 miler and you have yourself some issues. The next day you might not be walking too straight or with ease.

My focus this year has been to bring strength to my core, strength to the center that holds me together. It hasn't been easy. I think the cupcakes have something do with the subtracting of all the good I do for my core in a pilates class, but I could be wrong. (Probably not!) I mean, how could you resist this:

This one has a cookie dough filling in it...yum!
Going back to pilates this week had me thinking about the core of life, not just in the running world. Things in my life that center me and ground me. Things such as; my family (hands-down number one!), a good laugh with a friend who understands, a dose of sunshine (finally!), knowing you have a great church community to be a part of, a good cup of coffee in the morning, and, of course, for me finding the perfect vanilla cake recipe to create with. The possibilities are endless with that recipe...

So, I think I will keep up with that pilates class even though it humbles me more than my long runs do. Keep up with taking care of the things in my life that create my center and that ground me. It's all good now that sunshine is here in the Northwest! Finally!

1 comment:

  1. Oh pilates! You KILL me. In all the best ways I suppose. :)

    ReplyDelete