I love thrift stores. There is something about the hunt for those goodies that draws me in. I love stepping into the store without any knowledge of what I am going to walk out with. A cake plate, a funky pair of shoes, and other odds and ends.
Throughout the years, I have contributed to my collection of handmade pottery that just calls out to me from the shelves. Rescued many needlepoints and cross-stitch pieces that someone took hours upon hours to create and, yet, I find it stuffed amongst the frames at the store. Even my favorite coffee mugs and small plates have all come from the thrift store.
Yesterday was a great day in the world of treasure hunting. It seemed the stars aligned to reveal all the goodies I would be walking out with. Along with finding my daughter's Easter dress (score on the price!):
![]() |
![]() |
These babies were only $5.00 each and normally go for $20-$30 so imagine my happiness when I realized what good condition they were in. Into the cart those babies went! Of course, you know what this meant. Cake time!
I had just the recipe in mind; a Dulce de Leche coffee cake from the book Cake Keeper Cakes by Lauren Chattman. When I got home, I rounded up all my ingredients and started baking away. Here is the end result:
Add a little drizzle to that cake and I can see it hanging out in the front window of the future bakery. Sigh... The best part of the cake? The inside:
I call this shot the "come-hither and have a bite" shot. I love how you can see the butter glistening off of the crumbs. Oh butter, how we love you in our house!
Now, if I have you wanting a slice of this cake, you are in luck. I decided to post the recipe because it is a must for us coffee-lovers. Enjoy and have fun savoring this sweet bite!
Dulce de Leche Coffee Cake (adapted from the book cake keeper Cakes by Lauren Chattman)
1 1/4 cups coarsely chopped walnuts (I used pecans. All good!)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 T. ground cinnamon
1 1/4 cups dulce de leche (available in most grocery stores)
3 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 T. vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray and dust with flour.
For the Streusel
1. Combine nuts, chocolate chips, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Mix in the dulce de leche and stir until combined. Set aside.
For the Cake
1. Combine the eggs, sour cream, and vanilla in a bowl and beat lightly. Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
2. Place butter in mixing bowl and beat slightly to soften. Add sugar 1/2 cup at a time, taking care to thoroughly cream after each addition. (I set a timer for 1 minute each time I add a 1/2 cup of sugar. Takes time but worth it to get it nice and fluffy!)
3. With your mixer on medium-speed, pour 1/3 of the egg mixture into the bowl. Mix until just combined. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture. Mix until just combined. Continue alternating between the egg mixture and flour until all is incorporated. Beat for 1 minute on medium-high.
4. Add 1/3 of the batter to the prepared pan. Dot a 1/3 of the dulce de leche mixture over the batter. Repeat two more times.
5. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes then flip out onto a wire rack. When ready, transfer to your serving plate, slice, pour your coffee, and devour!
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Check back later this week because I have a cupcake creation just waiting to be made. It involves these guys:
Hmmmm...wonder what it could be?!?



Hey Amy! I also LOVE the treasure hunt feel of a good thrift store! I'm so excited that garage sale weather is approaching. It looks like you found awesome things. Where did you go?
ReplyDeleteI ended up at Goodwill that morning, one of my favorite places. I looked for more sad bunnies for you to transform into sweet ones, but could not find any. Bummer! Maybe next time...:)
ReplyDelete