Friday, October 1, 2010

Bacon, Bacon, Bacon


I know I just posted to this blog two days ago but last night we had BLT’s for dinner and I had a one of those moments in the kitchen where you realize how much you love something. That something was bacon. I mean, look at that sandwich! The bacon was just right, the tomatoes fresh from the garden, and the lettuce extra crispy. Wow! I just loved eating that sandwich for dinner and all because it had bacon on it.

Bacon to me is one of those foods that fall into my “bad food” category but one that I cannot see myself living without. In my house we live by the 80/20 rule. We eat healthy 80% of the time and 20% of the time we eat whatever we want. Obviously, bacon falls into the 20% category. I love bacon on my sandwiches, in my soups, on my salads, and even in chocolate. They make chocolate bars with bacon, you know. It is strange at first but quite addicting!

Now, I do have to say that I am very picky about my bacon. I really do not enjoy the thick slab bacon you find in the deli but LOVE the highly processed bacon you find near the hot dogs and other strange meats they put in plastic that shouldn’t be in existence. I know that that bacon probably has come from a very unhappy pig and has enough preservatives in it to keep me going until I am ninety but I love it. It cooks up perfect, nice and crisp, and it is what I crave when I want bacon. Am I to the point where I will put an “I Love Bacon” bumper sticker on my van next to my Runner Girl sticker? Most likely not, but if I was to find an “I Love Bacon” shirt, I just might have to buy it and proclaim my affinity to the crispy meat.

If I did find a bacon shirt, I would have to wear it to this amazing restaurant off of Morrison Street in Portland called Bunk Sandwiches. Have any of you eaten there? This place is a small hole in the wall that serves one of the best sandwiches I have ever eaten, the Pork Belly Cubano. This sandwich has ham, Swiss, pickles, mustard, and pork belly on buttery, crispy bread. (Just writing about it makes me want one!) The pork belly is quite a few steps up from bacon. Just as crispy but with an intense flavor that just overwhelms you. We ate at Bunk Sandwiches this summer without the kids and throughout the whole meal, did not say one word. It was one of those moments in which the sign “Don’t talk to me, I am eating”  was thrown down on the table. The only sound that was heard was yummy noises. You know what I am talking about right? Those sounds you make when something is just too good for words but you have to state your love for the food. It was a beautiful moment!

So here’s to bacon, I love you and glad you find your way into my shopping cart. Maybe someday my love for you will be proclaimed on the back of my van. That day might be when I finally give in and paint flames on my van. Make my 'mom van' finally cool to drive. Maybe I can name it the Flamin’ Bacon Van…hmmm…now that is an idea...


2 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Goodness. I think I need to go to the store RIGHT now and get bacon...and a lot of it. Thank you, Amy, for intensifying my craving for this wonderful food. It makes me smile thinking that I used to hate it. Silly me, I had no idea the intense goodness one food could contain. :)

    And I want to go to that restaurant with you. How about it? We're making a date after the marathon. I am totally ok if my "I am not running a marathon anymore, but still eat like I am" weight I gain is bacon-weight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are on! I won't be talking much when we are eating that pork belly sandwich but you will still be in good company! Bacon-weight, it's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete