Monday, October 11, 2010

Woman vs. GU


Yesterday I asked a lot out of my body by running the marathon in Portland. It was one of those crazy ideas that came to me after my last marathon in June, run a 2nd marathon in one year, four months past my first one. What was I thinking??? I guess I have to admit that it was a goal of mine to complete two marathons in one year so this was the year. Unfortunately, four days after I registered for the marathon, I was injured and off the training map for a month.

But, my goal was meant to be because I was able to resume training after my shinsplints healed and there I stood at the starting line with all the other runners yesterday morning. What a morning it was! Pouring rain and blustery winds! My training partner and I were sporting the garbage bag cape to keep ourselves dry for at least a little bit. As soon as we took off at the start line, though, everything was soaked from my hair to my shoes. Nothing like running in little puddles contained in my running shoes for 26.2 miles!

Running for four hours takes a lot of strategy, from what to wear to how to pace yourself through the miles. Go out too fast and you are doomed at the end. Wear a new shirt you bought at the expo and you will be chafing in places that haven’t been chafed at all during the training months. Having to be so engaged with one's mind and body for four hours is an amazing feat but also an exhausting one. Every little twinge causes one to panic which is why this was written on my hand during the race:


Having this on my hand reminded me to physically relax every time I looked at it. And it worked.

One strategy that takes months to perfect, even years, is the art of eating on the run. (Knew I would bring it around to food, didn't you?) What one eats is as crucial as finding the perfect running shoe. Without proper nutrition during the run, that's it, say goodbye to any sort of sanity you may have before the race because you will be hurting. Been there, done that. My first marathon I did not eat properly during the race and it was brutal. It was truly a test of my entire being just to get to the finish line upright. I thankfully managed not to hit the guy in front of me as I brought everything up at the end of the race. I did hit my shoes spot on though. Pretty impressive after running for so long!

Which brings me to these little packs of nutrition called GU packs. The purpose of these little treasures is to get energy to you as quickly as possible. The sad thing about these little treasures is that they have the consistency of toothpaste. On a run, every 45 minutes or so, you rip one of these packages (see picture at top of post) open, squeeze it into your mouth, and follow it with a HUGE drink of water. It is important to practice using these GU packs because you have to practice the art of shutting your mind down completely and I mean completely. 

I am a huge foodie, as you know. I love the flavor, the texture, and the smell of food but, if my mind is not completely shut down when I consume these packs, well, my stomach gets a tad upset. My stomach shouts back at me, "What the *bleep* was that????" (Insert colorful word of your choice here.) After relishing in chocolate cupcakes, steak, and other goodies my stomach gets very upset when I send a GU pack down the hatch. But, it is the most effect source of nutrition for me out on a run, sad to say.

Now that my fifth marathon is done and I am into the heal and repair stage of training I am happy to be taking it easy. Happy to be home in the afternoon without having to head out on a 10 miler. Happy to say that in the epic battle, "Woman vs. GU", I brought it to the table and won! Five times over a course of 26.2 miles I consumed that little treasure and perservered. No man in front of me at the finish line nor did my shoes have to wear the previously consumed GU. Really happy to say that I will not have to consume that foil-wrapped, strange-textured, nutrient-dense GU for a very, very, very long time. At least not until my next marathon...

1 comment:

  1. Ahh Amy,I love your marathon memories! Now that you are in the heal and repair phase we should definitely have our cupcake date. I'm an October baby so we can say it's for my b-day! So, so proud of you and your running accomplishment! Yay and cheers! Oh, my brother, Kyle was out there with you! I think he plans to do the Boston in 2011. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete