Friday, February 18, 2011

It's the Season for Daydreaming


The weather has slowly been getting better. The sun has been starting to show it's face earlier in the morning. I am finding daffodils and crocuses in my garden. And, most of all, it is starting to smell like Spring. As these changes start to happen around me, I start to daydream. Daydream about training and racing another marathon.

It is the season that long runs start to call to me and I get excited about what that may mean. The season to choose a race that is 9 months away and build a training schedule to get me there healthy and prepared. It also means it's the season:


*for hours spent on the road telling my right foot and left foot to alternate and move forward. A simple, repetitive tasks that requires minimal thought, a wonderful change from my everyday life.


*for perfecting the art of a balanced breakfast that can fuel a four hour run.


*for relishing the quiet running paths after running alongside a busy road.


*for eating GU packs once again (yikes!)


*for walking in the door, after hours on the road, starving and tired. Walking straight to the fridge and grabbing whatever might fight off the hunger so that I don't fall over.


*for planning on Friday night what I will wear on my long run only to have to change it at the last minute because it decided to snow on Saturday morning!


*for experiencing all different kinds of weather elements on one long run since I am out there for so long. Wind, rain, hail, sun, and even snow.


*for seeing the irony in life as a car pulls into the crosswalk I am in, quick enough for me to have to abruptly stop, and that car has a bumper sticker on it with the word "COEXIST".


* for having the "long run stink" waft up from my clothes around mile 12. Being able to say to my training partner, "Man, I stink!" 


*for feeling ecstatic that the run is going great.


*for tears of realization that there is still 10 miles to go and the tank is empty.


*for early morning trips in the dark to the start of the race.


*for running a race with the goal of getting to my support squad, my family, at the end as quickly as possible.


*for finding the perfect race and loving every minute of it.


*for finding the worst race and loving every minute of it!


*for thanking my body for being able to run 26.2 miles.

But this year my training season will be a bit different. This year, I will be logging many of my miles alone, without my training partner. For the past two years, we have prepared for 3 marathons and multiple half-marathons together. She is missing out on all the fun for good reason, her 2nd will be born in August.

And I will miss her greatly. Having someone understand the lure and the insanity of running 26.2 has been a tremendous gift. Knowing someone out there understands why I do what I do and finds equal joy in it. Knowing that there is someone out there who I can talk to for four hours straight to make the miles fly by. Who understands, with one look, that a particular long run is going to be aptly named, long. But, I know she will be back in action soon and willing to log the miles again with me.

So, here's to another great running season and new racing adventures. May I enjoy it as much as I did last year and may it be as good to me as it has been in the past. Now, if for some reason, this post has awakened a desire in you to join me on my next 14 miler, just let me know. I always welcome good company!

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, this makes me miss running so much. What a beautiful (and cold) morning I'm staring out at and it is begging for a long run. Soon, sometime soon. :)

    You were right, I'll be with you soon and in the meantime, I'll come find you on your long runs and cheer you on. (just ignore my dry clothes and coffee in one hand!) :)

    ReplyDelete