Saturday, February 5, 2011
Knocking on 40's Door...
I turn 39 this month. Something I can't believe and, yet, I can. Last night my littlest one said that in order for me to whistle I had to be 3. I think I have passed that milestone by a long shot, but good to know what age I need to be in order to whistle.
She told me this while we were at the local high school basketball game, hanging out with my hubby as he conducted the pep band. Being there, I saw many of my students I had when I taught 3rd grade. Those are always startling moments. When you see your students, who you had when they were 8, and they are Seniors now, taller than you are, and getting ready to head out into the world.
Although I can see 40 just down the road, it's doesn't seem like I am that age. Funny how we still feel a certain age on the inside. I seem to have stalled out at 31, the age when I had my first child. A good age, starting to get it all together, starting to get my passions in order. Family, running, church, teaching, and baking.
Once, when I was the mere age of 22 (Wow! Did I look young then!), someone asked me what my hobbies were. A moment of panic followed because I didn't have that part of my life in order. I probably had the deer in the headlight look on my face. Ever since that important question was put down on the table, I have made sure to have my hobbies/passion in order so if anyone asked me again, I could tell them quick, quick, quick.
I am not too afraid to be walking the path toward 40. I keep promising myself I will not be too startled by the approaching age like I was when I turned 30. Right before I turned 30, I happened to listen to my messages on my phone and heard my voice. Talk about a moment of shock! Who was that person?? I had acquired, at some point along the way, such an adult voice.
When my birthday approaches this month, I will celebrate with gusto (think I will do chocolate fondue for dessert). I will keep in mind what someone once told me, that 40's were awesome because you finally had it all together, or somewhat close to it. I will embrace the fact that my body takes longer to heal after my long runs, that I am slightly wiser than I was when I was in my 30's, and those little lines gracing my face are from all the smiling and laughing that I do in my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yes! Embrace it, Baby! Savor the moments, just like your blog title says. My 40's were wonderful. My 50's are pretty nifty as well! It is what you make it, in my opinion. And you sound like you're going for the gusto!
ReplyDelete